What are the best songs about comic books, other than Black Sabbath's "Iron Man"? I asked Douglas Wolk on IM the other day because he's the only person I know who is obsessed with comic books and music simultaneously. (He's the author of the awesome Reading Comics and Live At the Apollo about James Brown.) The best find was a rare single from 1969 called "Nobody Loves the Hulk!" Ten more after the jump.
Here are the top 10, in no particular order:
- The Traits, "Nobody Loves the Hulk" (remade many times by Ska bands for some reason)
- Camberwell Now, "Green Lantern"
- David J (from Bauhaus), "This Vicious Cabaret" (a song from V for Vendetta)
- New Pornographers, "Challengers" (about the Challengers of the Unknown)
- Mekons, "Dan Dare" (just in time for Dan Dare's revival!)
- Fink Brothers, "Mutants in Mega-City One"
- Transvision Vamp, "Hanging Out with Halo Jones"
- Sun Ra, "I Am Gonna Unmask the Batman" (greatest title ever)
- Paul McCartney, "Magneto and the Titanium Man"
- Guided by Voices, "Matter-Eater Lad" (yes this is an actual hero from "Legion of Superheroes")
Also, just as a treat, there is a little-known musical offering from Alan Moore, author of The Watchmen, called "March of the Sinister Ducks," which is credited to Sinister Ducks but is really Alan Moore.