When the robot revolution comes, you may not find yourself at the end of a pain stick. Instead, the liberated robots could merely insist on a PC name for "robot." What will it be? The Escapist magazine forums have ideas.
It all started when teknoarcanist asked:
So say you're in a futuristic setting. What are some PC terms that you, as a sentient machine, would prefer to be called? (eg. - android) Or would 'robot' about do it?
Not only was I glad he asked that question, as a future friend to liberated robots, but the discussion forum went into overdrive.
Here are some of their suggestions:
* As Bishop in Aliens puts it: 'Artificial Person'.
* AWESOME MECHANICAL MAN or AMM for short
* Biologically Challenged
* Synthetic? Not too derogatory and makes the difference between people and machines clear.
* If I was anything like I am right now, I'd be fine with being called a robot. I fucking hate PC language.
* Electromechanical Humanoid
* Hmm...'humanoid' might imply aspirations to humanity. A bit like referring to black people as 'non-whites'.
* I believe they would prefer to be called by their first name! For instance, Carl.
* I believe Red vs. Blue put it as "Mechanized American." So yeah that. Unless they're not American.
* Silica animus
* Autonomous Non-Biological Person
* It depends, if I was made out of plastics I would like to be referred to as a Silican, a Silican American, a Silican Briton, etc. If my outer casing (assuming I have one) is made out of metal I'd be a Ferran if it was iron, Coppan if it was Copper etc.
And the list goes on and on. This thread is made of win.
Read the rest and contribute via Escapist Magazine