Krampnitz Kaserne was a massive military complex, housing in its history members of not just the Nazi military but also the Soviet military. Now, aside from the occasional urban explorer and movie crew, the complex sits abandoned, though some chilling reminders of its wartime existence still remain.
All photos by LulaTaHula.
Krampnitz was built by the German Army in 1937 outside of Postdam as a cavalry school and driving training center, but the Germans held it only until April 26th, 1945. The very next day, Soviet troops took over Krampnitz and it remained a Soviet outpost until 1992, following the dissolution of the Soviet Union.
The entire complex contains more than 50 buildings, and some are in better conditions than others. The officers' mess hall, for example, was apparently used as a location in Quentin Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds, though it housed British rather than German forces. (Over at the blog Dereliction Addiction, you can scenes from Inglourious Basterds and Enemy at the Gates next to photos of Krampnitz.) And urban explorers seeking a chill have seen that amidst the peeling paint, graffiti, and overgrowth found in some of the Krampnitz buildings, its notorious Nazi Eagle mosaic remains intact.
Krampnitz: Potsdam's Abandoned Nazi and Soviet Military Complex [Environmental Graffiti via The Presurfer]