Not only are human beings still evolving, but it looks like life in civilization may be pressuring us to evolve faster than ever. A groundbreaking new study published today in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences suggests that the cultural environment of homo sapiens, including high population density and… »
Using nanotech devices sensitive to voltage, scientists at the University of Michigan have discovered that cancer cells in the human brain have electrical fields that are stronger than those in lightning bolts. (You can see a top view of the nano gadget at left.) [Technology Review]
Freaky storage devices for your… »
For the past few years, college football teams across the country have been participating in a head injury experiment. While playing games, they wear special helmets that use something called a "high impact telemetry system" to measure the impact and angle every time the players get smashed in the head. Now researchers… »
- "Chimera" mice grown with livers made of human cells are the ultimate test bed for new liver drugs, say scientists. Already, bio geeks have been growing mice with human brain cells, so this liver stuff is just icing on the genetic cake. [Salk Institute]
- A new study shows that the more manly you are, the more likely…
- It's official: the Earth is getting more tropical. Global warming has expanded the tropical band around the center of the planet over the past two decades, and it looks like it will expand more over the next century. [Reuters]
- Researchers repaired major skull damage in mice using human embryonic stem cells. They…
- Massive quantities of helium were discovered leaking out of the ground in Nevada. This mysterious gas emission is even stranger because usually geologists only see this kind of thing near volcanoes. Is Nevada about to become a volcanic hellhole? [Discovery News]
- 10,000-year-old trees were discovered during a…
Science isn't all about sex, pollution, cutting up brains, and going to outer space, but given today's headlines we can just pretend that it is.
We've got some artificial body parts, some bad brains, and some serious toxic sludge in the state of Washington for you in today's science news headlines.